The basic steps to connect Tableau to Cloudera Hive or Impala with Kerberos authentication involves the following steps:
[Note: Step 1,2,3,4 are not needed if your hadoop cluster uses Active Directory kerberos instead of MIT kerberos as the ticket is automatically generated by AD.]
- Download and Install the MIT Kerberos Client for Window
- Set the C:\ProgramData\MIT\Kerberos5\krb5.ini with the Kerberos realm and server details
- (Optional) KRB5CCNAME system environment variable may need to be set at times to a temporary value: FILE:C:\temp\kerberos\krb5cache
- Start the MIT Client and get a new ticket using the userid/password provided by the Kerberos admin.
- Start the Tableau Desktop and select Cloudera Hadoop data source and enter the HiveServer2 or Impala connection values including Server address, Kerberos realm, kerberos fqdn etc.
- You may need to download and install the Impala or Hive ODBC driver from the Cloudera.com website.
- After that the connect to Hive or Impala using Kerberos will work.